What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Friday, October 29, 2010

Too Fast or Too Slow

I was given an assignment in the online short story writing class I'm taking from Jessica Barksdale Inclan.  It was: Write a scene about a lie, a second one about lust, and a third about a party.  I was to take five minutes for each subject.  I thought it was an exciting challenge, but the minute the time began, I realized how slowly a sentence takes to get out on paper or keyboard/screen.  I swear that the clock sped up as soon as I started to write.  I'm certain of it, and I'll bet big money on it.  Zillions.  
My admiration for sports writers and journalists who have to meet a deadline went waaaaay up.  Hats off to those guys! I wrote a lot of garbage that I instantly deleted and tried again.  Same result.  Wow.  Dead in the water.  Missed my mark by a mile.  As a matter of fact, I am going to tell my teacher that my dog ate my homework.  I call my delete key "Dog."  
Later, after more writing - not the same assignment - I found myself staring at my screen, waiting for a page to load. My problem stems mainly from owning an old-school modem that kicks me off (of what?) pretty frequently and laughs at me the rest of the time.  It was moving so slowly at one point that I found myself blowing on the screen to hurry it.  Not sure why that would work, but boredom does things to a person.  
So, thinking about these two representations of quickness, be it nimbleness of mind or fleetness of internet, I really have no idea how to get my mind thinking faster or what is going on in my computer or in the air - Apple now connects everything in a Cloud up there somewhere - that makes it slow or fast or anything, really.  
I just pray a lot and smile at my computer and remind myself to be patient.  I find alternatives to situations where I need to write like blazes and have small turtle icons and holy shrines around my home that I hope will influence the computer gods.  That and blowing on the screen every now and then.  Something has to work, right?  

2 comments:

Jessica Barksdale Inclan said...

Just thought I'd let you know I'm on to you! Dog, indeed!

Anyway, yes, that assignment is a damn challenge. It wasn't a poular one this week at all. sometimes folks go at it, and sometimes, it is too much!

Hope that the computer stuff is settled. That always drives me nutty.

J

Christine Bottaro said...

Busted! We're signing up for U-verse. sposed to be about three times faster than what we now use. Sure hope so!

C.