What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mystery Meat Helps Me Prepare For My Vacation

In my own special way, I began an effort to train for my upcoming trip to Hawaii in November:  I saw a can of Spam in my cupboard (long story), opened it,  cooked it up with some pineapple and ate it.  Now I'm ready.

A bit of poetry appears on the side of the Spam can where a Spam Quesadilla recipe is shown:


Do not be fooled by the simplicity of this recipe.  Yes, it is easy to make, but the flavor is complicated and exotic.  Like something that fills your senses and pulls at your heartstrings and the flies away, wanting to be chased.  And you will chase it, oh yes, you will.  

What more could you want?  Pink mystery meat and purple prose.  Very cool.

Spam is a local staple food in Hawaii, a proud centerpiece of family cuisine, and common item of elaborate display in supermarkets there.  It's uniquely alluring in a weird salty fatty way that defies logic.  I am strangely proud to say I grew up on fish sticks and Spam as a child and believe it has made me the person I am today.  Okay, you can take that and run with it.

No comments: