What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Short Story Writing Class Begins

With only moments left to write, I can only say I've signed up for an online short-story writing course.  The sign-up process was designed by the devil himself in the guise of an IT department whose sense of evil humor is entirely wicked and evil.  I managed somehow, but it took TWO HOURS!!!!  (head hitting desk)

Well, with that agony behind me, I can wax philosophic and say:  You never stop learning, and when you can learn from someone who is much farther along the road you intend to travel, your choice is obvious.

I'll be taking some of the writings I've posted on my blog and developing them into short stories, learning about story structure, sentence structure, word choice, setting, plot - all that stuff.  I hope I learn what a verb is, too.  It's been a long time since I took a class in writing (seems like centuries).  I'm putting on the student hat again and setting off on a little journey.  I hope you'll see some good changes and improvements in my writing here.  Comments and feedback are always welcome as well as new readers/followers.  I'm amazed to find that people are taking time out of their busy days to read my work, and very humbled by it.  Thanks everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TWO hours to sign up??? I guess you're really intent on the course. Wow. Re: verbs et al: over there in your Bio--second sentence--you have a screwed up reference. Was it "early influences" that was born to journalist parents, or you? That's a basic grammatical error that good writers will avoid. Irks me each time I read it....Also, using active voice instead of passive is always more direct, less pedantic. Passive voice writing is used mainly by psychologists who want to sound knowledgeable and important. Have fun....