What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Off and Running

Nothing like putting extra pressure on myself to improve in life, which is just what I'm doing by signing up for a 3-unit class in short story writing, even though I am working full time, too.  Taking a big step in a desired direction does involve effort, overcoming inertia and growing pains.

More struggles to gain access to my new online class today, but I'm still determined to make it happen and squeeze all the juice out of the class that I can.  I feel obsessed, but the flip side of that is resolve, which more accurate.

There are good people in my life who are doing fascinating things with their time and talent.  They inspire me and keep me focused on what is possible and the redeeming qualities of humankind.

On another note:  One reader wrote to me offline and we had a written discussion after I posted about the gentleman at the Farmer's Market last week, how he was a positive ambassador of sorts for Islam.  He is fasting during Ramadan and his face is filled with peace and delight.  The reader remarked about the apparent oppression of women that seems to predominate muslim cultures, how Islam may condone such behavior and the horror of the extremists' violent assaults.  I agree with the outrage and horror.  There is no excuse for violent domination of other people, no matter who they are.  I am not a follower of Islam, but I am interested in meeting people of all faiths who practice and believe in a god that is the same or different than mine.  I intend to keep my ears up and my eyes open, seize opportunities to learn more, especially from first-source documents and practitioners of all faiths as well as nonbelievers.

Very brief post today, due to time constraints, but lots of thoughts forming and re-forming.  It's a good feeling.

No comments: