What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Quiet In The Night

It's the end of the day, and the world is quiet.  I hear the very faint whisper of my laptop, the hum of car tires out on the road.

Once in a while I hear that odd whistling test-signal noise ears make inside, but not right now.  I would hear it very loudly right now if it were to start.  It is so quiet, the peaceful surrender of the day to the arms of the night, like a squirming child slumbering in a heap, gathering energy for the dawn.

I've heard an owl on a quiet soft summer night and seen the moon float up like a big silver bubble up out of the dark hills in the east.  I've seen the silent arc of a shooting star.  The grand things in nature are soundless, and perhaps silence is the sound of the infinite.










    

No comments: