What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Pacific Grove Suffers For You

I just looked outside and noticed the fog was a shade brighter than it has been for the past few days.  This is cause for joyous celebration, so I am going to take a walk.  But first, I'm adding a few splashes of color to this page just in case the brightness fades and Pacific Grove is plunged back into colder shades of foggy gloom.

I suffer for you, you readers who live in roasting hot climates, but I also envy you sometimes.  I know what it's like to shade all windows in the middle of the day, turn on fans, keep plenty of ice on hand for cool drinks.  I have lived in places that felt like I was living in a pizza oven, sort of, and kept me flattened to cool walls or begging for a nice cool swim.

Because of your climate, I have mine.  The Pacific Ocean is massively huge and deep, and very cold.  Our fair beaches boast an average water temperature of about 54 degrees Fahrenheit or colder most of the year.  One dash into that cold and you are sure to come screaming out again with blue lips and goose bumps all over your body.

When your day heats up into triple digits, the air where you are rises - usually - and creates a low-pressure vacuum that pulls our cold air inland to you.  Because you are feeling like a melted blob of gum on the pavement when you go outdoors, I feel like a popsicle when I step outside here.

So, with numbed, stiffened fingers, I sit here at the only warmth in the house, the keyboard of my Macbook.  I am literally wearing a long-sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt, jeans and multiple warm layers of things on my feet.  And I'm still cold.  It's this way every year here in the Groove.  So it's fogburns for us in order that you may have a somewhat cooler breeze where you are.  When your area cools down later in the year, it will be wonderful here at last and we can have a leftover summer.  We accept it; we are stoic and love fleece, wool, and down.  It's part of being in the groove, shuffling along to the beat of a really cold drummer.

Sigh. There went the brightness, just now.  And I'm ready to go for a walk so I can warm up for a while in the middle of July.  Let's see, where are my mittens and hat.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be accurate, Ms.Groover, the Pacific Ocean all along the west coast is cold. If you move 50-80 miles due west of the Groove, you hit the Japanese current, which is like a river of much warmer water that emanates from Mexico and courses north and then west in a big arc until it reaches Japan. And then, I don't know what happens to it. Turns to kung fu maybe, before heading down to Australia to attract great white sharks and stingrays. It's all a diabolical plan to give you something to write about and post snaps of colorful flowers. Brrrr.