What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Monday, July 5, 2010

Ninja Macbook Standoff

In martial arts movies, darting ninjas throw flying spiked disks that fwwwwwoooonngggg into wooden posts right next to the hero's head, mere inches away.  Kicks and blows are countered in a blinding flurries, left, right, left, right!  Whack, whack, whack!  Haaaaiiii Yaaaaaa!  No ground is given and none gained.  That's what I feel like sitting here trying to get past the three-dimensional reality of the computer's screen and keyboard and on into my imagination.

It's a standoff.

My computer is a ninja master and I am just trying to get across the bridge to the beautiful garden filled with brilliant colors, cool breezes and some handsome protagonist named something like Jean-Claude, who has strong beautiful hands.  Or a heroine who has hot wired a Maserati in Milano and is desperately driving on the wrong side of the autostrada toward an alpine pass when she sees a sinister black helicopter lift up over the pass and begin to descend in her direction.

My shoulders are loose, my house is quiet.  And my mind is wandering...right off the page and over to the freezer where it's reaching for the ice cream.  I bring it back and consider the autostrada again and the sound of an expensive engine hitting the red zone and tires screaming on pavement as the car shrieks up the highway to the crest of a winding open road above treeline.  There are no guardrails and the flanks of the mountain fall away, a blurring periphery that our heroine doesn't even see.  Her eyes are narrowed and arms are taut as the vibration of the leather-covered wheel she's gripping....oops, stuck.  Hmm...not sure where I want to go with this.  Need to refer to the outline.  What's her name anyway?

I go past my bookshelf and stroke my favorite books with total admiration.  I always want to know how much time and what process the author used as the book was written.  I want to applaud the effort and champion the work it probably took, the missteps, the time in solitude the writer needed to set aside to get the words pullled down out of the universe and wrestled to the page.

Tonight, my ninja Macbook is holding me off.  I've feinted left and tried to make a sneak approach by pretending I'm going to quit for the night, but the screen is just as opaque and unforgiving as before.  I may try writing a few emails and get back to the real writing, kind of a fake-it-till-you-make-it thing.

I do need to get the heroine off the autostrada before the sinister black helicopter gets to her though.

Let's see now...

No comments: