What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Last night I watched a gorgeously photographed film about The Entire Natural Planet. It's a pretty big subject, you know, but they filmed it with spectacular cinematographic techniques, panning left and then right across vast areas. Snowy plains in Siberia, grassy plains in Africa, ice fields in the Arctic.

Wow, the earth is beautiful and wow are we ever trashing it. We are just trashing the bejabbers out of it, and there is nothing stopping us from doing it except us, we 10 billion farting, burping greedy slobs.

I am not happy nor do I feel blithe about this at all. It's just so huge I don't know where to start. The ice is melting away. Way away, downstream to the ocean, and all the shores are getting swamped. Number after depressing number was quoted by the articulate-sounding narrator.

So, I got up from the couch where I had been for the previous two hours, and I turned off all the remaining lights, put my plastic bottle carefully in the recycling bin by my back door and tiptoed off to bed.

No comments: