What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cake Diving

I always thought it would be fun to burst out of a cake. I had a birthday cake once that was a doll whose skirt was cake and frosting. I think that gave me the idea. Covered in cake, I could be quite happy.

It's definitely a spa treatment I have not seen listed locally in our many fine hotels. In Pacific Grove, there are no spas. The town was dry until a startlingly recent time, so having a spa would be just as abhorrent to town fathers and mothers, at least of the older and grayer variety. New mothers and fathers probably actually enjoy making small boutique brews of their own, but the older town fathers....well, they ruled out fun for a pretty long time.

Imagine the difference between growing up on Lawrence Welk and then being faced with Pink Floyd just when you had life all figured out. Both involve a certain swirling experience evoked by froth and breezy smiling happiness, but champagne bubbles floating gaily around accompanied by polka music is worlds apart from looking at The Wall through a haze of psychotropic smoke.

I have to say, I have not actually indulged in a full spa treatment. No hot rocks, avocado facials, nor mud baths. No, I'm saddened to admit that my life has to date been limited by modest means and has not included mineral thises and thats. However, if a cake bursting experience in which I could be the burster were offered by an imaginative spa purveyor, I do believe I would be first in line.

If I could not burst out of a cake, I would definitely choose to swan dive onto one. I think reading myself to sleep while lying on a cake that I have just landed on would be a gentle and happy indulgence almost beyond imagining. I would love to do that. So, one for the bucket list: Swan dive onto very large delicious cake and really, really enjoy it. Mmmmmm hmmmmm...

What's on your list?

No comments: