What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Greeting the sun again

Lo and behold, the sun came out today! So, I had a conversation with her as she idled overhead.

I was in the garden wrestling with the albuteron and eyeing the spent blooms of my roses when she first appeared. I asked her about her ongoing conflict with the fog and if it bothered her much. She looked a bit peeved when I asked. "That fog is a constant pain in my side," she sniffed. "I give him every opportunity to just be a normal cloud, but, no, he has to roll around on the coast and undo all that I've done all morning long. It's so hard to get good help these days."

The sun wears old crinoline skirts lined with gold and she adds sequins to them now and again, usually after the clouds give up their tantrums and wander off. I personally know that she loves garlic, especially in pesto, smiling more kindly on gardens where it grows. She's a diva. Anyone knows that. But, she has her moments when her confidence crumbles a bit.

I felt her warm caress on my back for the first time in days and told her how good it felt. She smiled with gleaming teeth. I squinted and worked at the weeds at the base of the roses. I asked her if she was planning to be out more this week, if we could expect a bit more warmth than we've been getting. She was glancing at herself in a sliding glass door, checking her pearls, straightening her crown. She touched her gold-gloved fingertip to the corner of her lip and thought for a moment. "Yes, well, I have my plans, but you'll need to see what the wind is up to. I can't control him, you know. He's taken a liking to Wagner again. He gets all worked up over it and just goes wild."

She played with the surface of a little fountain, splashing it, tossing a few glittering diamonds across its surface with a casual throw-away gesture. Then she breathed deeply. Reaching high overhead she stretched her arms grandly. A hesitant wisp of cloud hurried away. The sun idled away to the west, walking slowly, swaying her hips and fluffing her thick blonde hair. One strand fell on her shoulder. She just looked so lovely and fine that I had to smile. Her presence always commands attention even if the wind shows her so little respect. The day was her stage and she knew it.

After my garden chores were done and feeling quite satisfied with the day, I enjoyed the pleasure of sitting in my big blue chair out on the patio for a little while. The diva sun was long gone by then but not forgotten by any stretch of my imagination.

2 comments:

kcmckell said...

Fabulous imagery! I'm blown away.

Anonymous said...

No one's ever pegged the sun so well before, so...so coquettishly. How do you do it?