What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Monday is Market Day




For the first time in a few weeks, months probably, I went to the Pacific Grove Farmers Market. It materializes every Monday afternoon, generally after 3 PM. Officially it's 4-8 PM right downtown on Lighthouse Avenue.

The market is just completing its first year of business, and it has been a struggle. Basically Pacific Grove is a destination town, shouldered aside by Monterey and Pebble Beach, over the hill from Carmel. So, you get here because you intend to get here, not because you made a wrong turn off the freeway. Shoppers who want to save a few dollars get in their cars and drive 20 miles to Marina round trip or even over to Salinas to get to the Wal-Mart or Pennies, but they miss out on what's on offer here in our foggy little corner of the universe.

The market is about two blocks long, and vendors are from Monterey and Sen Benito Counties as well as a few determined souls from as far away as Fresno. Produce is all organic and, of course, just picked, plucked or pulled that day.

Starting my walk at Grove Market (voted best neighborhood market in Monterey County for the zillionth time this year), I picked up a few staples and a market bag to flaunt my allegiance to the store. Charlie Herrera has the magic touch and runs a fine business there. I am happy to say I am ferociously loyal to the place - mostly because he sells the best darned bacon you can ever hope to eat. Try it - you'll see what I mean. I am equally happy to say that my very long-time friend Leslie is one of the best grocery clerks in all of creation; we always have a little catching up to do when I visit the store.

I trotted on down to the market then and feasted my eyes on the tubs of gerbera daisies, spring flowers, and roses, but I was really more interested in finding some seasonal fruit and greens for the table. Strawberries, raspberries, some very early apricots and cherries glowed in the mid-afternoon light. "Sample? Sample?" A vendor held out plump, red strawberry temptation-on-a-plate. I found my best deal at three brimming basketsful for $5. Another farmer was just filling up bins with late citrus including Meyer lemons. "I just picked them for you," he said smiling, and I fell for it. I chose three weighty beauties. Just because I asked, he gave me tips on pruning my own little tree, warning about suckers which steal the moisture from the rest of the plant.

The wind was rather kind and meek, but it was cold - maybe 53 or so. It's June now, and everyone is still wearing fleece, scarves and even gloves though the sun shines in nearby towns. I saw a few birds wearing sweaters, I think. At least they were flying right-side up.

The mushroom farmer's portabellas, crimini and white mushrooms were dewy and tender with freshness. I bought a pound. Next, glossy zucchini with the blossoms attached and raspberries. A small boy walked by eating some of the berries like candy, his mom herding him away from the tubs of water holding flowers.

At the last strawberry stand, a woman strolled very slowly by and sighed, "Oh, those berries smell so fragrant!" She inhaled and closed her eyes, rhapsodising about the aroma. I thought she might begin a little pirouette and I gave her a bit of elbow room.

I met a new vendor, newly here from Michigan. She and her husband had wandered west a couple of years ago and decided PG should be their home and came to live. Being a good wholesome mom from Michigan with a three-year-old girl to raise, she decided to bake cupcakes for a living. Her husband bought her some fancy carriers ("I loved him that day!"), and her fate was sealed. Now she calls herself Mrs. Delish's and offers tender and light treats at the market now and again. $3 a pop and you get about four mouthfuls of homemade goodness.

No comments: