What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Flooring Decision

Flooring choices turned out to be interesting.  The usual constraints of money, time, and space restrictions provided guidelines, and I've chosen a product at last.  If you recall, I mentioned flooring in a previous post.  The space to be redone is only about 150 square feet in size and gets a lot of traffic, so the product needed to be durable.  Also, the budget includes money for the product itself and installation.  The room is light most of the time, too, and the walls have a warm palette of colors, so the flooring has to be a light neutral or warm tone.

I considered recycled material because I really believe many products can be reused very effectively.  I called one installation guy who's independent to ask about installing various materials.  He never called back.  Not good.  I looked at cork and bamboo also and found the cork to have too busy a pattern for the space, and some other choices of materials had too big a pattern that would look oversized and odd.  Bamboo is pretty, but it doesn't fit the budget if someone else is going to install it.  I don't know how to install it and don't have the tools, so that's out.

The final choice?  An imitation slate laminate made by Armstrong called Stratamax.  The color is "Camel."  So, there you go.  It's not in yet; a person has to come and make precise measurements of the space and then a date will be set to get the product laid down.

I guess this is pretty ordinary for people who remodel rooms every so often.  I've found that I consider too many choices when I need to make a decision, so I restricted my range quite a bit this time 'round.  I think I'll be happier with new floor once it's all finished.  It feels good to have made a decision.

No comments: