What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Thursday, December 16, 2010

This Isn't Hawaii Anymore, Koko

I am not in Hawaii anymore.  The memories are strong, but my body is telling me:  It is cold and you need to put on something besides a bathing suit.  I keep looking through my pictures and reliving the warm pleasure we experienced on Kauai.  

There's nothing you can do about the weather where you live, but you can go somewhere where the weather is better.  "Better" is a relative term.  Friends of mine are sinking into depression when they realize rain has melted a good bit of the snowpack in the Sierra Nevada mountains.  Skiing is everything to them but not to me.  When storms slide slowly over the west, skiiers get giddy with excitement.  Me?  I'm thinking about sand, beach towels and a snorkel.  Snow is not "better" weather except when it beomes stored snowpack to feed streams and rivers in spring and summer.

Rustling palms, plumeria blossoms scenting the air and naturally ripened pineapple?  Now we're talking.

No, I'm not in Hawaii anymore, and I have to turn up the heater and put on my bulky winter clothes every day.  It's the sad fact of life in Monterey.  I know even that is very mild compared to you readers in Canada and Russia.  Hats off to you, you rugged northerners.  I'm a wimp in comparison.

My plan this Christmas is to make a gingerbread Hawaii scene, so when I make it, I'll post a photo here.  Palm trees, sandy beach, outrigger canoe, all with dried fruits and nuts for decorations on the icing.  Not bad.

No comments: