What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cute Babies and Insect Feet

It's an odd thing to be looking at insect feet and wondering how they hold on to slick surfaces that are vertical, especially when everyone else is watching a cute baby gurgling and smiling.

I like cute babies, but, you know, they just cannot walk on walls or ceilings.

I don't know where to go with that thought, but there it is.

I'm glad babies don't have insect feet, because mothers would never want to nurse them up close to themselves.  You can imagine the screaming and edginess, can't you.  I hope genetic engineering never gets to that point.  Babies need to be cute so that parents won't really notice how much diapers cost.  Speaking of diapers, mothers who nurse need little porta potties to tie around their waists so babies nursing can just get potty trained at the same time.  In one end, out the other.  One stop shopping, so to speak.

I am thinking I am ready to go visit Gabriel The New again soon.  He is about a month and a half old, has gained weight steadily and is charming every visitor for miles.  His uber super mother, has finally finished her masters degree in sport psychology.

I guess, too, I could check out the insects' feet if I see any while I'm there.  Don't you think it's like Star Wars that insects can walk on water, rest upside down on ceilings, migrate hundreds and hundreds of miles?  Not one single insect looks capable of doing anything, really, but they do all sorts of bizarre things.  I mean, you aeronautical engineers, what are the chances a bee can actually fly?  I'm pretty sure no jets are patterned after them.

Babies, on the other hand, grow like mad when you aren't looking.  They get really stout, then they fall asleep solid as a little rock and grow taller all at once.  I heard that some babies have actually been measured after a 24-hour growth spurt two inches longer.  That's equal to insect feats. Or their feet.  

It's all mind-boggling, no matter which creature you choose to admire.  What can you say except it's all much stranger than fiction.  You can't make that stuff up.  

No comments: