What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Apricot Butter Bars

After I posted my description of the farmers' market on Friday, I was asked to post the recipe I'd mentioned.  So, here it is.  I've had it ever since I was a teenager and have made it successfully every time I used it.  It's pretty fool proof unless you forget to use the timer and they cook too long.  I haven't made it lately or I would post a picture of the little beauties.  They're chewy and have a great tangy element from the apricots.

Note:  If you can get your hands on it, use King Arthur Flour.  It's by far the best flour I've ever used.

Apricot Butter Bars

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Use a 9 in. x 9 in. pan

1 C. flour
1/4 C. sugar
1/2 C. butter
1/3 C. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C. packed brown sugar
1 C. dried apricots, snipped
3/4 C. walnuts, chopped

Mix 1 C. flour with sugar.  Cut in butter with pastry knife or two knives.  Press into 9 x 9 in. pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Blend all other ingredients, pour on top of baked ingredients and bake another 30 minutes.  Should appear lightly browned and dulled, kind of like brownies.  Cool and cut into squares, serve and enjoy.

No comments: