What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Alvarado Street Farmers Market Dash and a Smile

After all the errands and busyness of the day ended, the last fading image in my mind is a beautiful smile. 

Oftentimes we see other people and find them familiar in some mysterious way.  We see something in the shape of the nose, the tilt of the head, the lift of the brow.  The fleeting glance can arrest us and we think to ourselves, "Hmm, I've seen her before, but where?" Other times, we see a familiar person, a relative, and realize for the first time who they look exactly like.  It can be startling, and sometimes it's haunting if the similarity is with someone who has passed on.  There are unexpected moments when you see another's face unveiled in a brief instant before you and then it disappears just as quickly, ghost-like, teasing, beguiling. 



Today was a very busy, errand-filled day, and I never caught up, never felt finished.  One thing after another tripped me, turned me and kept me off balance.  None of them were bad; they simply swarmed me, outnumbered me and kept me in a defensive posture until I could break free. 



On one of those occasions, I zoomed pell mell for the farmers market in Monterey on Alvarado Street, which starts at about 4 PM and runs until 7 PM.  Since I'm still unwinding from all the running today, here's the down and dirty on getting to and from the market with the least amount of wear and tear:  Go at 3:30 or so, before the crowds hit.  Park in the Tyler Street parking garage where you get one hour free; it's very close by.  Bring your own carry bag, plenty of cash, and go south on Alvarado to the end, turn around and work your way back to the garage, little by little.  You'll see vendors selling dates, raisins, seasonal fruits, eggs, baked goods, craft items, soaps, Asian vegetables, flowers, honey and condiments. You'll see hippies, soldiers, doctors, students, kids, dogs, surfers, and chefs from local restaurants dashing out for a few armfuls of fresh goods.  After all that, cross Franklin and wade through all the food vendors until you find just the right plate of food to satisfy your soul.  That's it.  That's the market.  It's quiet, noisy, fresh and ancient all in one. 



So, I did that and soaked it up, wished I could dive right into the flowers and embrace them.  I just stood there grinning like a fool.  Right along with everyone else.  You walk past the fruit vendors and they hand you a sample of their goods, and you're hooked.  Today, it was blood oranges, navel oranges, dried fruit, dates and one guy with early season strawberries.  I have to say, the oranges were so good I almost lit a candle and said a Hail Mary. 



After all that bliss, I went home and began the unwinding process - I hoped.  But, no.  One more errand to my dear aunt's house to return some borrowed chairs.  She is unique, is my aunt, in ways I cannot adequately describe here.  Suffice it to say she has a similar look to mine.  But she also looks like so many other people that with each inflection of her voice and every turn of her face, the light caught her in passing and gave me subtle glimpses of so many other relatives and people I've met. Mostly, I thought of her and her life and her experiences and my own.  If there is magic in humankind, it's found in the face of a beloved elder. 

Her smile and voice are with me, and it's a very sweetly specific groove to be in right now. 

No comments: