What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Flowers Help Me Wait

Today is not the kind of day one runs outside with a song in one's heart as the sun bursts into view and birds sing.  The birds are soggy and huddled on the leeward side of trees, and the sun is staying put in the tropics, thumbing its nose at us who are inundated by rain and buffeted by wind.

There are many things we can call upon, tools in our toolboxes, that we can use to get through the gloom and gray of wet weather.  I like to play good music and move around indoors, which usually does the trick.  If that doesn't work, one must root around in one's "toolbox" for other devices to ward off inertia.  Plenty of storms that plunder trees of their flowers and weakened branches make one feel intimidated and reluctant to move off of the sofa or out of bed, wishing it would all go away.

Two days ago, when I was scurrying to the grocery store to get out of the wind and wet, I saw a display of fresh flowers, grabbed some and continued on about my shopping.  Having the little beauties at my side as I went up and down the aisles did me a lot of good, and they look cheerful now on my kitchen table.  I love flowers no matter what.  It seems to be they are a really good gloom antidote, so I keep them around, ready to cheer me every time I re-enter my kitchen or any other room where I can keep them.

Surely the rain will cease someday soon and the flowers outside will bloom as in no other year.  Spring is here, on paper, but the season has yet to warm us in real life.  I'm ready, very ready, with my flowers cheering me as I wait.

No comments: