What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Eating with Intention

I'm reading My Life In France, the memoir by Julia Child, and it's giving me good insight into the differences between the French and American attitudes toward living. Needless to say, there are definite differences. Ms Child  says it can be boiled down to artisanal thinking versus a never-be-satisfied push for larger, more completely dominating business profit and size.  We don't see eye to eye at all in that regard, as countries. 

She described going to a small restaurant in Paris with an enthusiastic friend who loved the little place.  The friend announced to the proprietress that she had two new customers, but she turned away and said, "I have enough customers already." 

Enough! What a concept!  She believed more would be excessive, out of balance with the effort required to produce very good food for more and more people.  That French attitude, if you are American, spells snobbery and exclusion. She was rude, dammit!  Didn't she know she could have made more profit, become more successful? Hell, she could have started multiple locales, franchised the company, right?  

When was it obvious that you or your American peers routinely said, "I have just enough now.  I need no more."  Instead, the American consuming public (huge generality, I admit) is beast-like in its drive to obtain more massive amounts of stuff, constantly.  We, generally, are big, consuming, never-satisfied Jaba-the-Hutts who grab what we want and stuff it into our mouths/banks/portfolios, and we cannot seem to stop.  Give More To Me Now! 

I'm happy to say that quietly, steadily, artisanal foods like cheeses, olive oils, breads, meats and so on are being made by farmers and producers who have turned away from the business model that has existed since the 50s.  I don't have to tell anyone that a tomato picked from a garden and eaten within minutes is intensely, deliciously different than a Monsanto-altered mock tomato that has a shelf life of 30 days, do I?  If you focus on the very simple experience of tasting the tomato in its true state, the small delight is a big pleasure. 

Along the same vein, waiting to eat a vegetable or fruit that grows only during a certain time of the year, waiting to eat it only at that time of year, is a concept we have forgotten.  Yet, it's the basis of the greatest cuisines in the western world.  Relearning what vegetables grow at what time of the year - in the region we live in - requires an awareness of the ebb and flow of the seasons, the way the sunlight angles in across the landscape, rainfall, and soil.  Good old dirt becomes a more complex thing that has immense effect on our eating pleasure.  You want the best apricots?  You wait until the heat of summer brings a blush to their skin and the fruits' sugar to a peak.  Then you have an apricot to sing about. 

Patience is not in many people's vocabulary now that we are spending our time in front of computers in darkened rooms and roaring across vast distances in metal bubbles with U2 blasting in our ears.  

As of today, I am beginning a list:  I am recording the origin of each food item I consume this week, as best as I can know it.  Next week, I'll let you know what that list looks like.  If I can list the source of every single item, I'm going to be very surprised, that's for sure.  Why?  Because, I, like you, have been sleeping on the job basically, consuming but not feeling the connection to what some call the Life Force.  Quantum thinking to some, but getting back to basics for me.  Living with awareness and intention - starting with what I put in my mouth to eat - might be transformational, it might not, we shall see.  I'm curious though.

No comments: