What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mrs. Delish's cupcakes and a new kind of Hero

Over to the Groove I went, off to the Farmer's Market, the first time in a while, having been prevented by my work schedule for a long while.  Before I knew it, I had loaded my bags with tomatoes, sweet basil, plums, crimini mushrooms, squash and tilapia.  Strawberries are still looking good, so I bought a three-pack of those.  Wow, are they fragrant.  And, as I had hoped, they are amazingly delicious. 

I reacquainted myself with Mrs. Delish's who sells cupcakes to hungry passersby.  I love that she packs up your cupcake for carrying in a smart little box to keep it from squishing.  I noticed she's selling more variety now.  The chocolate with green mint frosting is the top favorite of little kids, she says.  My new addiction is the dark chocolate with vanilla frosting with toasted coconut on top.  Taste reminds me of a Mounds bar - my childhood favorite candy bar.  It was rich with dark chocolate flavor and just enough sweetness for balance.  Three bucks and you've got a little bit of heaven in a cupcake paper. 


Next door to her was a young guy selling three kinds of gourmet sandwiches.  I bought a half of a Tuna Caper:  "A logical twist on a common offering.  The capers add a satisfying briny element that makes this comfort food even more comfortable.  Lettuce and tomato are standard." Italian ciabatta bread tops it off.  Not one to limit myself to just one flavor, I also bought a half of a Goat Basque Hero:  "Goat cheese mousse topped with red fire-roasted peppers, Spanish olives, Marcona almonds on sour dough." Two entirely different but equally tasty flavor sensations.  I prefer the Goat Cheese Hero - the almonds add a nice crunch and I am a sucker for fire-roasted red peppers.  He's working on a web page and just getting his business off the ground. 

No comments: