What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lunch at Zocalo


It's time to celebrate!  It's my last night shift tonight.  I was playing substitute all this month and now I'm done.  Back to evening shift and a much more normal sleep cycle.  Whew! 

Also, my daughter got herself a new job.  Just when things were looking too tight and too dismal to handle anymore.  Whew again!  

The weather forecast for today:  super hot - in the 90s at least - but as I'm sitting here at my keyboard, the sky looks gray, there's a chill in the air and not a bead of sweat anywhere in town.  So, it's Pacific Grove's version of hot.  You need a light jacket and a brisk walk to warm up, but that's okay.  I'm in a celebratin' kinda mood.  So, how about a nice zingy plate of Mexican fare to ward of the chill midday air and enjoy the good news?  Ah, Zocalo! 


We walked down to the Groove, past the Holman Building, and right on into Zocalo, our favorite Mexican restaurant around, by far.  They serve home-made tortillas, delicious ablondigas soup (meatballs floating in delicious broth), dark rich mole sauce and even have lobster tacos.  Something for everyone.  My choice today was a side order veggie burrito for $5.95.  Very tender tortilla wrapped around beans, cheese, steamed veggies, all seasoned lightly and steaming hot.  He had chipotle chicken tostada for $9.95 with tender local lettuce, whole pinto beans, queso (cheese) and fluffy rice.  As usual, we were licking our plates clean at the end of the meal and felt satisfied and happy. 

A Mexican friend of mine who waits tables at another local eatery says Zocalo is her favorite Mexican place, too, and believe me that's a pretty good recommendation.  Coco has told me her mother was from Old Mexico and "could cook anyone under the table.  I didn't even know what a pancake was until I was a teenager.  She always made old-school hand-made Mexican food."  So, go to Zocalo and enjoy a nice casual but authentic meal.  It's just right. 

No comments: