What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Monday, August 20, 2012

An Avalanche of Irritations? No, Just A Reason To Give

Do you ever think about those little things around the house that you put up with all the time, that you never really fix? I just noticed about three things as I got up from my computer. Three pretty simple things to fix that if I were to change them or replace them, would probably make me really happy.

I have cute drawer knobs but they always work themselves loose and wobble when I use them.

The ice cream scooper is funky and doesn't really scoop very well.

There's a stain on the rug and it's faded, an inexpensive throw rug by the back door that I've had for a good number of years.

I'll bet I have about $15.95 in repairs or replacements right there in that little list, and I'd be pleased as can be if I did something about them.

I know at least one man, my uncle, who takes such excellent care of every tiny thing in his home that you'd swear the place was just built last year. It was built in the 50's. He keeps a mental list of each thing that needs maintenance and replacement and gets them done. It's really pretty remarkable. Maybe he goes overboard, but I prefer to think of him as an inspiration. The thing is, though, I wish I would remember to be inspired while the cupboard knobs were twirling in my grip or the ice cream scooper was making tiny ineffectual divots in my double chocolate ice cream.

When an avalanche begins to rumble down a steep alpine slope, its weight has reached critical mass and overcome inertia and friction, yielding to gravity and releasing a huge amount of energy. If I ever notice the spinning knob to a point where it feels like it will just come off in my hand, I suppose I'll overcome inertia and go to the store to find the proper washers I should have installed in the first place. Or when I'm at a store like the ever-wonderful Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table I'll see a terrific ice cream scooper and buy it. The stars and planets will be aligned, candles will have been lit and I will feel the delightful surge of inspiration and happy mental focus that will culminate in a purchase. But, you know what? I'll probably give it away as a gift.

Oddly, and most often, the urge to upgrade my own things usually transforms itself into a desire to buy something new for someone else, not myself, who probably would love to have a new this or that. For instance I bought my sister a new garlic press I liked a lot, thinking to myself she really could use it, but I didn't buy one for myself, even though I liked it quite a lot. It made me happy to give it to her. I've bought a lot of things and given them away as gifts. And then I just go on overlooking those little things that could stand a bit of fixing. They don't bother me enough yet, I guess. Yes, I do think that's odd and a little nuts. If I were a more irritable person, they would be making me crazy. Me? They make me want to give someone else a cool gift. It's just the way I am.


No comments: