What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Fog vs Poppy

Fog is draping itself around our coast like a slovenly visitor, gray and humorless. This is when I dig out photos of spring poppies and vistas of wilderness backlit by a hot sun. It's also when I start to think of places to go where summer exists as a season of heat that ripens fruit on trees and dries the river water on my skin as I sit baking like a brown piece of toast.

I may go inland and up into the foothills of the Sierra. I am considering another trip to Hawaii or Canada where I have yet to visit and explore. New York is a possibility, but then a friend has asked me to see her again in Colorado and share a little time with her there. I'm thinking it over, but I haven't decided yet.

The sight of the clammy fog, in all its sullen chill, got me thinking again about travel. Where shall I go this time? I'll reach into my closet for some maps and go to the bookcase to find a few travel guides, check the internet. It all begins with twinges of longing to be away from here.

Summertime is coming, our second winter. The only way I can tell it's summer and not winter? The daylight hours are longer. I'm glad I spotted the poppies one day, bright and cheery looking, bobbing in the breeze at midday.

I guess the fog is a prompt for travel, a good pique to my consciousness to get on with planning. I don't think it will be long before a plan materializes. If nothing else, I need to go out and photograph more flowers to store up as beacons of hope in our long gray summer.

No comments: