What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Possibility: Changing The View




We are looking forward to seeing what we have never seen before, or seeing things differently than they may have seemed. It's time to travel, to take in some new views and viewpoints.  We are off to France soon, and preparations are nearly complete.  

Life is different there, just enough that it knocks us out of complacency and indifference. All details become stimuli and prompts for change in body, mind and spirit.  As when travelers come here and see our town with fresh eyes, we will see and hear there what perhaps the French overlook.  If we are lucky and keep open to the possibility, realms of discovery we cannot yet imagine will reveal themselves to us. It happens on every trip we take because what is experienced externally stimulates what is internal and unseen within ourselves.

So, in order to prepare I am dusting off my travel guides and figuring out the bare minimum that I want to carry with me. If travel is tiring, it usually has more to do with lugging too much stuff around and believing that the plans I made ahead of time are cut in stone. I prefer to travel lightly and imagine that many scenarios are possible on any given day. I want to discover and adapt to life where I am going. I figure if I haul a heavy load of belongings with me, I am forcing the world to encounter me rather than me encountering it. In a nutshell, I want to leave myself behind.



Travel.  The word ignites the imagination.  There is no better way to push myself into learning mode than to extricate my whole entire self from my routine and literally land someplace else that is foreign and unfamiliar.  Discover, adapt, learn, and open to possibility - whatever may come.  Travel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Practicalities: bring husband, passport and ATM debit card, in that order. Also a small lined tablet for travel notes. Leave purses at home. Bring French/English dictionary. Let your readers know what's going on...Bon Voyage....