What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mac Attack!

I blogged a whole entire post two nights ago, typing away for an hour, getting every word right (I always like to think so anyway) and hit the "publish post" button on my editing page.

The screen froze.  Nothing moved.

Then (if you have an Apple Mac Book or similar product you'll cringe now), I saw the Spinning Beachball of Death.  PC users are snickering; I can hear them.  The SPOD is the icon that means the program is frozen and you need to unfreeze it.  Usually, I can figure out what to do and I'm happy again.  This time, it's grim.  My MacBook has apparently been polluted.  If it were a boat, it would be dead in the water.  If it were a horse, it would be lying there with all four feet in the air.  It has not worked at all beyond the very basic on/off function since the SPOD appeared two nights ago.  No Operating System, no obvious sign that the hard drive is usable anymore, so no blog post.  Yet.  The site that I use (Blogger.com) saves my material every few seconds, so much of the work I did is postable, but I'll need to tweak it after I retrieve it.  Whew!

My post from two nights ago will appear here probably in two days' time.  I'm using a borrowed laptop (thank you, G!).  I'm going to supplicate before the Apple gods tomorrow, present my probably dead MacBook to a tech at the Genius Bar at the Apple store and see what they say.  I am not feeling optimistic.

Meanwhile, I have left Vivie screaming in the woods with Charm and Bonnie running to see what's become of her.  No worries!  I've got them in suspended animation.  I'll catch us up to them and keep on posting somehow.  

Travel is good. Much has happened, and nearly all of it was an excellent adventure.  But, the poor dear Mac is dead. She was a good one, that Mac was, and I do miss her very much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sympathies for your misfortune with Mr. Mac. Any contraption which is based on a bunch of on and off switches (which is what a computer is) is likely to freeze up at some point, if one little jot goes awry. Matters not if it's a PC or Mac. I'm guessing that your your rig's hard disk drive has died, as they are wont to do. The techs should be able to diagnose the problem quickly and get you back in the Groove quickly.

Anonymous said...

Deregnem! That's what I have to say about that! Or that's the "word" I verified in order to leave this comment... Sounds a little like, "damn them!" or "Dreg them!"
My mac is backed up fairly regularly, and I have never had a virus. But still, that sort of uninvited visit from the digital gremlins can happen at any time to anybody. Am reminded to back up my Mac!

May yours be recoverable. --ss