What's This Blog About?

Pacific Grove is nearly an island - it is in the minds of people who live here - "surrounded" on two sides by the blue cold ocean. In a town that's half water and half land, we're in a specific groove where we love nature but also love to leave and see what the rest of the world is doing. Welcome along!

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Tour de France and nothing else

I'm held captive in the clutches of the Tour de France, unable to wrench myself free until the final rider crosses the finish line in Paris tomorrow. I was hooked on the intricacies and spectacle of it years ago when I tried racing and rode my bike all over everywhere. While it's complex and there are many aspects of strategy involved in the sport, the visual appeal is hard to deny. Riders everywhere imagine themselves riding up the huge mountain climbs or bombing down twisting devilish descents, but only a very minute percentage of racers have a realistic chance of competing. Among those, an equally tiny percentage have a hope of competing to win.

When the Tour coverage begins in July, I'm glued to my TV and love every second of it. Like one little French lady said a few years ago, "The Super Bowl? Pooof! What is that compared to three weeks of the Tour?"

I agree.

No comments: